Quote:

"Don't spend time worrying about how you are going to die. Worry about how you are going to live today"

Monday, June 27, 2011

Recovering and bored

The recovery from this surgery has been easier than from my bilateral mastectomy surgery.  I have been off the pain medication now for three days and am functioning just fine.  I am sore, but it is not unbearable.  It's hard to not do anything for myself because I don't feel that bad, but my plastic surgeon is super strict and tells me not to do things.....ugh!  I am so bored sitting around being inactive!  I don't know how to do this for three more weeks.

So my breasts were slightly covered with some gauze that was taped over the incisions.  When I removed the tape, my skin was damaged badly.  Now I have what looks like a sunburn where the tape was.  My skin there is red, puffed up and super itchy.  There are even some blisters....nice hu?  I am putting some triple antibiotic cream on there and hope I get some relief soon.  All of this just keeps gettin' better doesn't it?  Who knew I would now be allergic to the tape they use in surgery. 

For the next 3 1/2 weeks I am suppose to not lift anything over 5 pounds.  I am not allowed to drive for 3 weeks post surgery too.  No exercise other than leisure walking for a month.  So I guess I will sit here on the couch and watch more bad TV.  I may actually have to resort to watching The Waltons or Little House on the Prairie soon enough as I have seen everything else on TV in the past 4 months.  I had no idea they still played those shows on TV, but sure enough they do!  Brings me back to my childhood when I actually watched those shows.  I hope I don't get that desperate to have to watch that stuff......maybe I should get Netflix instead.  I can't imagine tuning in to see Nelly Olsen be mean to Laura and Mary on a daily basis.  It would be pathetic to think that could be the highlight of my day.

At this point my pain is minimal and manageable.  I hope to get out for a light walk later once it's not so sunny because of my hair.  I am still babying my hair as instructed in the cold cap protocol.  Sun and heat are a big "no no" for my hair at this point.  As far as a hair update, it is still there!  I was shedding super bad the past few weeks - almost worse than I did all through chemo.  For now though it seems to have leveled off and the shedding is less.  I am still shedding more than I did before starting chemo, but it is manageable.  Overall, Penguin Cold Caps worked well for me.  My hair is thinner but I still have a full head of hair and look normal, not like a cancer patient.  That is something to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment