Quote:

"Don't spend time worrying about how you are going to die. Worry about how you are going to live today"

Friday, July 15, 2011

Itching myself crazy

I am 9 weeks out after my last chemo and I still have this horrible rash.  I can't take it any more!  The rash started after my 3rd chemo and came back again after my 4th chemo.  Essentially, the rash has been here since before Easter.  So I have had this rash for over 3 months and no one seems to know why.  I am so frustrated.  I really can't take it any more.

I have been on steroids and have tried numerous creams and lotions.  Nothing makes it stay away.  I itch all the time.  My chest and neck are flaming red and looks like I have a bad sunburn with some bumps.  I also get it on my arms and torso.  It seems to get better with the treatments but once I get relief and the treatment stops, the rash and uncontrollable itching come raging back.

I woke up at 3am last night again itching out of control. I sat on the edge of the bed and just sobbed.  I just want someone to help me.  I have been like this for 3 months.  I literally feel like I am going to go crazy from this.

My medical oncologist seems to wipe her hands of it.  She says it's not from chemo.  She offers no suggestions and just moves on to the next thing she wants to talk about.  The internist is stumped and offered steroids so I could get relief and referred me to a dermatologist.  I have been to the dermatologist three times and they don't know what is causing it. They thought it was the chemo but now they are convinced it is something else I am still being exposed to.  Now they want me to stop all vitamins/supplements in case it is related to that.  Ugh! 

I just want relief.  I can't take this anymore......I never thought 9 weeks after chemo I would still be dealing with crap like this. I am just spent.  I am sick of being uncomfortable.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maria,

    I'm new to your blog but I couldn't help offering my advice about your itching. I've been studying holistic nutrition for the past year. Likely your skin reaction is a sensitivity to something in your environment or to food. It might not have bothered you in the past, but your immune system is compromised because of the cancer and the chemo so you've developed a sensitivity. I would do a step-wise removal of suspect foods from your diet, each one individually for a week, and see if there is any change. Start with nuts, eggs, dairy, wheat--the most common offenders. And in your environment I would avoid all commercial soaps, shampoos, cleaning products. Get some Dr. Bronner's or find something locally made out of vegetable oils. As far as a salve, my favorite is a white container with blue writing (get it in the health food store) called "Country Comfort Herbal Savvy."

    I'm newly diagnosed with a similar profile to yours (used to live in MI and my name is Maria and even am flat-chested!). I stumbled on your blog while searching for IDC HER+ who have decided to go with a mastectomy. I am very early in the process (just seeing surgeon on Tuesday for the first time).

    Thank you for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria....sorry about your diagnosis. I have also thought the same thing you recommended and did remove nuts from my diet a few days ago. I have switched to a completely natural soap. I am hoping it will be that simple, but won't know for a few weeks. I guess if not, we will try something else. Thanks for the advice. Best of luck on your surgery!

    ReplyDelete