Quote:

"Don't spend time worrying about how you are going to die. Worry about how you are going to live today"

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Running Five Miles is NOTHING.....

Recently I started adding running into my regular workouts.  The first day I ran on the treadmill about a month ago it was torture!  Just trying to complete two miles was really a challenge even though I exercise daily.  I got the cramp in my side and thought my legs were going to give out.  The first few times I ran it just seemed like I would never get through it.  As I thought how hard it was to run, it made me think of how I thought I would never get through breast cancer and all the crap that goes with it. 

I use to think five miles was long, hard or maybe even impossible.  Now I realize it is NOTHING compared to what I have been through.  The other day I began my ran and just set out to do at least three miles.  I wasn't particularly excited about it, but I know that running is good for me.  As I got going I remembered why I use to run so much years ago.  There is some type of adrenalin rush that occurs after three miles and you no longer feel your legs or feel tired.  You feel full of energy and full of life.  It is powerful surge from deep inside that just carries you through.  There is something inside that tells you  - you can do more, so you do just that.  Before I knew it I had run 5 1/4 miles and felt great.  I really didn't know I had it in me to do this!

As I think about a five mile run or the long road in the last 10 months since my diagnosis, I realize that nothing is impossible.  I never thought I could run 5 miles again, let alone after breast cancer, but I did.  I never really knew how I would get through the surgeries, chemo and emotional strain of breast cancer, but I did.  Here I sit, full of energy and life, feeling good about what I have accomplished.  I look back on the whole breast cancer experience and am eager to put it behind me and move on with my new cancer free life.  I have a renewed hope that life will be good and I can do anything I set my mind to.  Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment