Quote:

"Don't spend time worrying about how you are going to die. Worry about how you are going to live today"

Monday, February 27, 2012

Feeling Like My Old Self

Today I was teaching aerobics.  I was asked to substitute for a sick instructor and teach two classes back to back.  I have not done this in years!  Though I have been running and working out a lot, I have not been teaching much as I have not been able to find anyone hiring instructors here since we moved.  I have taught fitness classes for over twenty years (gosh, now I feel "old"!) and have always enjoyed it.  This is the longest I have gone without teaching a regular class in all those years.  I didn't realize how much I missed it until today!

So today I had a Cardio Interval class.  When I got there the room was packed with a great group of ladies that were ready to sweat.  We got going and I realized how much strength and encouragement the class participants provide to ME during the workout.  I feel like I pushed myself harder than I have in a long time due to the group of ladies and the energy they provide during the class.  We worked super hard and I sweat like crazy. I thought I was going to not catch my breath after some of the intervals and my poor thighs were screaming at a few points. It was good for me though!

After that I taught a leg and abdominal class for an hour.  I have been slowly easing back into a weight training program along with running a lot but this class challenged the heck out of me.  I guess I realized how good it felt to be like I was before breast cancer.  None of these ladies know I had breast cancer at all.  To them I was just an instructor like all the others.  I am glad as I don't want anyone to look at me with pity.  I want to be a positive influence on them - not drag them down with negative thoughts of my cancer. 

I really felt like the old me.  I forgot how much I get from teaching classes.  I realized how much it inspires me to try harder and to make a difference in other people's lives.  It makes me feel so good that I helped someone do something good for themselves that day.  I also am so inspired by the wonderful people that come to my class.  They make me want to teach better, be stronger and work harder.  That is a side of me I have not seen for a while.  I hope in time I can find a place that is hiring instructors.  I want to continue helping people get fit and feel good about themselves.  The gift I get in return is amazing.  Thank you wonderful ladies in my class....you made me feel like me again!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment