Quote:

"Don't spend time worrying about how you are going to die. Worry about how you are going to live today"

Monday, January 3, 2011

There are angels among us, really

Today I went to the cancer center to meet with the doctors again (my new favorite past time- ha ha!).  As I sat in the waiting room with my husband, I got nervous again.  I said to my husband, "what could I be nervous about?  They already told me I have cancer?"  He just kind of laughed and said "you are right". 

As we sat there in the lobby of the breast center, there was a woman looking at me.  Then she would look away and I would catch her looking at me again.  I finally said softly to my husband after I started feeling uncomfortable "I feel like everyone is looking at me like they know I have cancer. Why are they looking at me, because I am the youngest person here?".  He said "don't worry about that". 

So time went by and the woman got called back to see the doctor. We continued to wait a very long time, in fact so long that the lady actually came out of her appointment and then left while we were still sitting in the lobby waiting to be called back.  About two minutes later, the woman came back and walked directly over to me and said "Hi, my name is Kathy and I just know the look on your face because I have lived that and I left my appointment and I just had to come back to talk to you".  She sat down next to me and told me she was where I am right now one year ago.  She told me her diagnosis and how her journey had gone.  She told me there is life after breast cancer and that I can do this.  She told me she was back to work eleven days after surgery.  I teared up as she spoke to me.  I told her I was scared because I have a young son.  She assured me life would get better.  She was so warm, kind and positive.  She gave me her phone number and e-mail address and said she would love it if I would call her so I could talk with someone that understands.  I was completely overwhelmed.  It really touched me.  I have never had a complete stranger ever offer me so much compassion.

After she left, all I could think of is the Alabama song called "Angels Among Us".  I truly believe that God does send angels to us in our darkest hours.  I plan to call Kathy this week and thank her for her kindness and compassion, and speak with her about her experience. It was truly a gift having that happen today.  If you just don't know the song, the lyrics are full of hope. 

Here are the amazing lyrics:

I was walking home from school on a cold winter's day
Took a shortcut through the woods and I lost my way
It was getting late and I was scared and alone
Then a kind old man took my hand and led me home
Mama couldn't see him, but he was standing there
But I knew in my heart, he was the answer to my prayers

Oh I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live
To teach us how to give
To guide us with a light of love

When life dealt troubled times and had me down on my knees
There's always been someone there to come along and comfort me
A kind word from a stranger to lend a helping hand
A phone call from a friend just to say I understand
Ain't it kind of funny at the dark end of the road
Someone lights the way with just a single ray of hope

Oh I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live
To teach us how to give
To guide us with a light of love

They wear so many faces
Show up in the strangest places
Grace us with their mercy
In our time of need

Oh I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live
To teach us how to give
To guide us with a light of love

No comments:

Post a Comment