Quote:

"Don't spend time worrying about how you are going to die. Worry about how you are going to live today"

Thursday, May 10, 2012

I Got A Tattoo But Not How I Thought It Would Be

Earlier this week I finally completed my breast reconstruction and got areola and nipple tattoos.  It was kind of odd to go to my plastic surgeon's office and have a tattoo artist tattoo my breasts!  I always imagined that if I got a tattoo, it would be on a crazy girl's vacation with my best friend and there would be a lot of alcohol involved.   I thought it would be of a butterfly or something cute on my stomach or hip.  Never in a million years did I think I would be getting areola and nipple tattoos on my new fake breasts.

I always thought getting a tattoo would hurt really bad, but it didn't.  The procedure took about 1 1/2 hours and I did not feel most of it.  I guess I didn't feel it because I have a lot of numbness on my breasts after all the surgeries.  All went smoothly and I drove myself home.  I felt a little tender the rest of the day but only if I bumped my tattoo area.  The next morning nothing hurt or was red at all.  A few days later, they look great.

I never thought I would see the day that I would finally be finished with reconstructive surgery.  It seemed like such an impossible thing at the beginning of all of this.  Now I can say "I am done!"  That really feels good to say after so much time!  What's even nicer is looking in the mirror when I get out of the shower and actually looking pretty normal.  I can't believe what miracle workers the breast surgeons are.  My breasts look pretty real.  Of course I have some scars, but once those continue to fade, they won't be very noticeable.  I can't believe how just a little tattoo can make me feel so complete!

14 comments:

  1. Nice Post. I Really Like it. Good Job Thanks For Posting
    it.I Would Like To Come Again.huge collection of tattoos designs and meaningshttp://tattoosdesignz.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm due to get my "tattoo" done soon too but am not 100% if i want to have it done! You seem to be happy with yours, I guess I'll have a chat to my plastic surgeon when i see him next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to put off my second mastectomy and bilateral breast reconstruction until after I get 4 rounds of chemo. I start on Wednesday. I'm going to schedule the surgery for mid September, so hopefully, I'll be done by the end of the year. I'll be getting nipple tatoos as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news and congratulations on "being done"!! http://livinginthemoment-carol.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! What a long grueling journey. I am on a similar path. My pathology results were very similar to yours. I have been offered Taxotere/ Cytoxin x4 infusions and stumbled on your blog while researching cold cap therapy. I meet with my oncologist again this Friday.
    Would it be possible to correspond by email? If you are too busy please just delete my address. I have found your blog so helpful, so thank you for writing it!
    Lori lzaran@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry! Name: Lori
    Email: lzaran@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also almost done with my reconstruction. Very similar experience as yours. Scheduled for tatoos next month and I was so excited to read this blog. I'm very ready to be done and now I know the tatoos are no big deal to get!! Thanks for posting....NO ONE understands unless you've walked this path.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is good news for a lot of women, especially those who are diagnosed with the big C. Breast cancer has always been a fear of every woman. It is both a psychological and physical battle. Even a cancer survivor continues to battle the fear of a possible recurrence of cancer cells. This development in breast implants will not only lessen the risk of cell re-growth, but will also help breast cancer survivors regain their confidence. An implant is not just a cosmetic procedure anymore. It is something that can boost morale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m happy for you, Mdg! :) I commend you for the courage and strength you had for your reconstructive surgery. That kind of surgery is definitely not a joke; it includes the closure and dressing of skin grafts, as well as tissue expansion. Cheers for new experiences that you’re about to face in this new phase of your life! :)

    Terry Bayer

    ReplyDelete
  10. I first want to applaud you for your bravery. It takes strength to go through everything that you have, much less post about it on the internet. I’m glad that your cosmetic reconstruction has gone so well, and that it’s all finally over. It wasn’t an easy road to tread, but you got there! Congratulations on winning the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ‘What's even nicer is looking in the mirror when I get out of the shower and actually looking pretty normal.”----This is the greatest benefit that women can achieve once she goes through breast reconstruction. It not just improves the appearance of the patients, but their emotional well-being as well. It enables them to feel whole again and return to their normal lives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good going, girl! Surgery has been very helpful in restoring beauty. With the tune of your post, I think you’re really satisfied with the result. That’s what really matters – satisfaction! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Satisfaction it is! Well, people must really be thankful with what science can do to make our life more fulfilling. Yes, you went through a crisis before, but through breast reconstruction, I know that you will start to feel okay again. Having this “tattoo” is really a good way for you to start anew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am a fan of tattoos designs . i appreciate you for getting tatto .

    ReplyDelete