Quote:

"Don't spend time worrying about how you are going to die. Worry about how you are going to live today"

Saturday, February 12, 2011

A trip to the grocery store

So I gathered up my notes on what I can eat/not eat and headed to Whole Foods.  Wow did that cause some serious $$$$$ damage!  Oh well.  Right now I need to eat good, organic foods that are healthy.  I knew this would be a long trip as I had so many labels to read while there, but overall, I came out with a lot of good finds.  In the coming weeks I am going to compare prices on organic items at my other local markets as more of them are carrying a wider selection of organic products now.  In time I hope to figure out which store offers the best pricing on these foods.  This is going to cost a fortune if I don't to some research!

For protein, I usually eat lean beef, ground turkey and chicken.  I ended up selecting hormone free chicken and ground turkey for this week's menu.  I bought the large family pack of chicken and just quickly divided it into smaller amounts and popped it into the freezer.  I did not have time to hit Costco today, but they do offer hormone free meats for much less of a price than Whole Foods.  I plan on heading to Costco next week to stock up on meats for a while and to save some money! 

I ended up with lots of fresh, organic produce too.  Apples - love them so I am slicing them and tossing them in lemon juice and popping them in the refrigerator in a bowl so they are always ready to snack on.  Baby carrots are an easy, quick snack I bought too.  I did also get lots of fresh veggies for the week - green beans and broccoli along with fresh herbs. 

I started reading the labels on things like breads, flour tortillas, English muffins and tortilla chips.  Why does everything contain safflower, sunflower, corn oil or soybean oil anyway?  It's in everything!  I kept reading labels and was finally able to find a few things that contained none of these oils - whole wheat pita bread, whole grain English muffins and whole wheat flour tortilla shells.  I gave up on the tortilla chips....they all contain these oils, so I just bought some anyway.  I can't give those up!  I also love whole wheat pretzels..and you guessed it.  They also contain those stupid oils.  Ugh!  Some things I just can't give up.  My compromise was the Snyders Wheat and Oat Organic Pretzels.  They still have some of the oil, but the rest is all whole grain and organic.  That's as good as I can do.

So a few things on my menu this week are:
-Tomato, Basil and Artichoke Chicken, Garlic Green Beans and Brown Rice
-Veggie Pizza on Whole Wheat Crust with Sauted Spinach, Portabella Mushrooms and Garlic with a Spinach Salad/Sundried Tomato Dressing
-Broccoli, Shallots, Chicken and Whole Wheat Pasta tossed in Olive Oil with Parmesan with tossed salad (romaine, carrots, bell pepper, tomato and organic feta cheese)
-Turkey Tacos with veggies on Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas, Organic Fat Free Refried Beans, Roasted Corn

I also walked out with Kashi Organic Cereal, organic eggs, almond butter (since peanut butter is on the "bad" list now), organic low fat cheese (hormone free!) and fresh turkey breast (with no nitrates - for sandwiches).   I feel like I can at least get through this week knowing that I have good food that won't be harmful to me.  Maybe I will actually go in the kitchen and not feel paralyzed anymore!!!  I can't lose any more weight at this point....I need to eat healthy and maintain where I am to get ready for chemo.

I am so glad to get back to cooking this week.  It is something I really enjoy and I have not been doing it for a while now since everyone has been bringing us dinner each night.  It is relaxing to me when I cook.  I like making a nice dinner for my husband and son.  Maybe something will start to feel "normal" again around here again, at least at dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment