Quote:

"Don't spend time worrying about how you are going to die. Worry about how you are going to live today"

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Let's talk organic foods

As I move through this process of breast cancer I have made numerous changes in my diet and health care products to help reduce my chances of recurrence and keep me and my family as healthy as possible.  In this journey I have explored the differences between organic foods and conventional foods to determine what is best for me and my family.  I have chosen to buy organic when possible for many reasons. 

Organic foods don't contain anything unnatural or toxic.  There are no chemicals, no pesticides, no preservatives, no artificial coloring, no heavy metals or no artificial flavorings.  This is the way food was intended to be...simply and natural.  The cost of buying organic can break the bank, but if you know which foods are important to buy organic you should focus there first.  Some foods have little need for pesticides and such so paying more for them to be organic may not be worth it for some people.  On average, organic vegetables cost about 20% more than regular grown vegetables.  Keeping that in mind, here is a list of the top twelve foods you should buy organic because of the pesticide levels alone:
 
  1. Nectarines – 97.3% of nectarines sampled were found to contain pesticides.
  2. Celery – 94.5% of celery sampled were found to contain pesticides.
  3. Pears – 94.4% of pears sampled were found to contain pesticides.
  4. Peaches – 93.7% of peaches sampled were found to contain pesticides.
  5. Apples – 91% of apples sampled were found to contain pesticides.
  6. Cherries – 91% of cherries sampled were found to contain pesticides.
  7. Strawberries – 90% of strawberries sampled were found to contain pesticides.
  8. Imported Grapes – 86% of imported grapes (i.e. Chile) sampled were found to contain pesticides.
  9. Spinach – 83.4% of spinach sampled were found to contain pesticides.
  10. Potatoes – 79.3% of potatoes sampled were found to contain pesticides.
  11. Bell Peppers – 68% of bell peppers sampled were found to contain pesticides.
  12. Red Raspberries – 59% of red raspberries sampled were found to contain pesticides.

This is a list of the top twelve produce items that had the least amount of pesticides found in them (most of these items have thick skin to protect them):
    • Asparagus
    • Avocados
    • Bananas
    • Broccoli
    • Cauliflower
    • Corn (However, almost all corn is genetically modified)
    • Kiwi
    • Mangoes
    • Onions
    • Papaya
    • Pineapples
    • Sweet Peas
I guess if the cost of organic is an issue, you could skip buying these items organic to save some money knowing they don't typically contain much pesticides. 

Another common item to buy organic for sure is coffee.  Who knew?  Personally, I don't drink coffee, never have, but my husband does.  From what I have read, coffee beans are one of the most chemically treated items grown.  I had no idea.  I am slowly working on my husband to convert him from his conventionally grown, special flavored coffee to something organic.  We will see how it goes.  Hopefully the organic coffee makers realize that if they make the fancy flavors, more people will buy it!  I have not looked for coffee yet, but will do it this week!  Gosh I hope they have some good flavors or this may be a tough sell to my husband!  I don't want a cranky husband, with breast cancer I am cranky enough for both of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment