Quote:

"Don't spend time worrying about how you are going to die. Worry about how you are going to live today"

Monday, March 14, 2011

Something to look forward to

Since getting diagnosed with breast cancer I have been so touched by the support and help I have received from my friends and family.  It has been amazing.  During this process I have had several friends approach us about taking a vacation when I am done with treatment to celebrate and enjoy time together.  When people kept asking I just couldn't think about that as I was dealing with so much.  Now that time has gone by, I can think about it.

We have four other families that have committed to join us on vacation later this summer!  I am so excited! We are planning our trip now and are making reservations for an 8 bedroom home in the Outer Banks with a pool near the beach!  I can't believe we are all going.  This is going to be so fun.

It's funny because this is the first thing that we have planned beyond the current week since surgery and since my chemo started.  From now until the beginning of May when I should finish chemo, I feel like we take everything day by day and week by week.  I feel like planning a vacation is "normal".  It feels like my old life again.

This trip will be special though.  I have so many amazing people in my life and to think that they will all be together with me and my family on vacation is incredible.  My sister and her kids will be there (my son adores his cousins!).  My best friend of 21 years will be there with her family.  My very dear, close friend that I have known for 11 years will be there with her family.  I am also blessed to have one of neighbors and her family be with us.  Though we have only met three years ago, we have become such good friends and support each other a lot as our sons are the same age.  Since getting diagnosed I can't even count all the things she has done for us.  I just can't wait to spend time with all of these amazing friends on vacation. 

I have been fortunate to travel a lot in my lifetime even to many exotic places over seas and far away.  I have been lucky to experience different cultures and see amazing, historic sites all over Europe, the Caribbean and South America.  Who would have thought I would be so excited for a domestic vacation to North Carolina?  This will be a very special trip for me as I will have such special people joining us.  It will be great!  I can't wait for summer to be here.

1 comment:

  1. Our family we went on an amazing trip like this with 3 other families at the Outer Banks. The kids- in a wide range of ages all played together on the beach, in the ocean, in the house and in the pool. There were 8 adults and 13 kids- we divided up duties- watching the kids, and preparing meals. We ate all week at the house and had so much fun! The guys had one day of golf, and the ladies had a day of shopping! Mostly, we just all hung out with our families together. Our favorite time was sundown- we all went down to the beach, the parents with our favorite beverage and the kids all playing on the beach. Our favorite family vacation ever- and will be yours too. You will have a wonderful time! And make a forever lifetime memory with your family and friends!
    p.s. I admire your outlook and zest for life! Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete