Quote:

"Don't spend time worrying about how you are going to die. Worry about how you are going to live today"

Monday, May 9, 2011

It's all about the hair now

Now that chemo is done and my body won't have to get any more of it, it's all about the hair!  I still have a full head of hair, but I still have to be so gentle with it and hardly wash it or style it.  Ugh!   Don't get me wrong - I am grateful to have hair after chemo.  It's just hard to see it continue to shed, not be able to style it the way I want or just wash it more than once a week.  But then again, a bad hair day is still better than a no hair day.....

At this point the hair is hanging on.  It has thinned a bit, but I don't think anyone else can really tell.  I have lost some around the hair line and side burn area, but again I can only notice that.  My ponytail is a bit thinner, but that's OK.  I just started using some hair extensions to thicken it up a bit and it looks so much better even with only one small hair extension.  It just makes me feel better when I wear them though no one else can really tell my hair thinned.

So based on all this, I can honestly say Penguin Cold Caps really work.  It's amazing to think that I went though chemo and ended with hair.  One of my biggest fears was losing my hair.  I just didn't want my son to see me that way or remember me that way.  The thought of that broke my heart.  I can't believe I did it - chemo and kept my hair. 

I will continue to be gentle and kind to my hair in the coming weeks and hope the shedding stops soon.  I long for the day when I can color my hair and just wash it without a care.  That seems like it will be so far away..... For now, I am so grateful to have hair.  I can just close the door on chemo and move on.  That feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment