Quote:

"Don't spend time worrying about how you are going to die. Worry about how you are going to live today"

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Let my faith be greater than my fear

I was reading a book last night about breast cancer survivors and something struck me that one of the survivors wrote.  She simply said her faith was greater than her fear.  When I read that, I just stopped and thought about it.  I really thought about what that meant.  It just made sense all of a sudden.  My fear has been taking over EVERYTHING in the past month.  It has put me into complete panic.  This part has been even more exhausting than actually treating my breast cancer. 

Today I went to church and prayed to God that my faith could be greater than my fear.  I know that I need to focus on what I CAN control in all of this, not on what I can't control.  I can't control that I got cancer.  No one can.  I CAN control the steps I take to treat it, prevent it from coming back and how I deal with all of that.  That is what I CAN control.  I just can't continue to let the fear be greater than my faith. 

I wanted to search for some inspiration because I still feel like my faith is less than my fear. I thought it may help to read of words of inspiration on a daily basis moving forward to build my faith.  It's always so much easier to think about the bad stuff, not the good stuff so I know I must make an effort to let the good stuff in each day.  I googled "words of inspiration for breast cancer" and I found a website with so many amazing quotes and words of inspiration (http://www.quotegarden.com/cancer.html).  Here are a few that really touched my soul:

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.  ~John Diamond
Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.  ~Author Unknown
Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.  ~Winston Churchill
I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains.  ~Anne Frank
You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.  ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.  ~Christopher Reeve
it's not what they take away from you that counts - it's what you do with what you have left.  ~Hubert Humphrey

Hope never abandons you, you abandon it.  ~George Weinberg

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.  ~Scott Hamilton

We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails.  ~Author Unknown

To fear is one thing.  To let fear grab you by the tail and swing you around is another.  ~Katherine Paterson
Courage is being afraid but going on anyhow.  ~Dan Rather

I know that life is busy and having cancer is exhausting, but there is always just a little bit of time each day to devote to inspiration and positive thinking.  I believe in the power of prayer, I need to believe in the power of inspiration and positive thoughts.  I hope I can continue to devote time on a daily basis to find inspiration and think about the good stuff just enough to make a difference in my spirit.  So I guess "building great faith" is a work in progress for me, but at least I am working on it.

1 comment:

  1. Those quotes are amazing! Dollymom@me.com

    ReplyDelete